Sunday, September 12, 2010

Goals, goals, goals

Hello everyone!

Well, I wanted to share my goals.  A part of starting this blog is to be accountable to my friends and family on my health status and my efforts in improving them.

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes.  This crushed me, I was only 23 years old.  I didn't take it seriously and ate the same way and wasn't 100% compliant with my meds.  I was barely living.  I started getting serious about my health earlier this year.  I went to an endocronologist and saw that my fasting blood sugar was 374 mg/dl....very scary to say the least when normal levels are 70-120 mg/dl.  I was also 336lbs @ 5'9" tall.  I definitely had to do something about it!  So, with the support of my sister (in-law, but she's my sis!), I embarked on a journey to lose weight and get healthier.  I went down to 289lb in 3 1/2 month's time.  Yup, that's 47lbs lost. :-)  My fasting blood sugar went down to 89 mg/dl.  Oh yeah, I was on cloud 9, lol.  A short vacation set me off track by quite a lot, but not enough to be back where I was.  I gained back half the weight I lost and I'm ready to jump back in this again.  I realize my efforts will never be for a short period of time...this will be lifelong.  When I succeed, I will have to continue to work very hard to stay.  I feel like I'm rambling, I was supposed to state my goals...ok, here they are:

-Reach 175lbs (maybe a size 12??--not sure, the last time I was this weight was probably in the 5th grade)
-Keep BS at normal levels of 70-120 mg/dl
-I've read that a healthy waist size is half of your height in inches.  So, that would make my healthy waist size 34.5 in...that's the ultimate goals (reduce visceral fat!!) :-)

Like I said, I want to stay accountable, so I will post my weekly results.  Here they are for this week:

312lb
193 mg/dl

I also want to post my measurements on a monthly basis.  Here they are for this month:

(in inches)
Waist (at navel): 53
Bust: 58
Ribcage: 48
Hips: 54.5
Arm: 16.25
Elbow: 12
Thigh: 29.75
Calf: 17.5
Knee: 17
Neck: 17.5
Ankle: 9

Ok, that's it for now folks.  I'm off to a healthy day and week.  I pray yours is healthy too. :-)

*Always tell your loved ones that you love them when you finish speaking with them on the phone.  Tomorrow is never guaranteed.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the journey Mel. Let me know how I can be of support. You can do, I know you. You are a strong and determined woman. DON'T GIVE UP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the help and support! You can be of extra support by keeping me accountable! :-) That's what I truly need.

    ReplyDelete